Tuesday, April 17, 2007

So business in German is not easy.

Today I started classes--the entire reason I came here--and I kind of wish they were easier.
At 8 a.m. I started with Fundamentals of Finance (oder Grundzuege der Finanzwirtschaft). I think the course won't be too much of a problem, I just need to hear what the professor is saying. The course is approx 500 large and 1/2 the people talk the entire way through lecture. (Also, I'm hoping this will take care of my Finance 3001, cross my fingers, but I'll see how that goes)

Following at noon came my Investment course--apparently meant for upper division students. I didn't know that to start. That's why the professor whipped through everything. Although I could hear him this time, I just couldn't understand him. But it's the same professor for all my finance courses, which will be easy in that I need to adjust to really only one teaching style.

Dr. Heil Rehkugler, approx 50, FAST-TALKING, quite professional and prepared, but also very often tosses out jokes. The ones I don't get I just kind of smile and laugh along, so I don't stick out as "THE AMERICAN...". But it's only day one.

Tomorrow theoretically will have 10 hours of class.
  • 8:00 a.m. with Financial Analysis and Portfolio Management
  • 10:00 a.m. with Practicing the Fundamentals of Finance
  • 2:00 p.m. with Social, Economic, and Natural History of Germany from 1945-1980
  • 4:00 p.m. with International Trade and Globalization in the European Union
  • 6:00 p.m. with Renaissance in Venice

(*note all courses are 2 hours long. But they normally start 15 minutes late, and end up to 1/2 hour early)

Yesterday I lost my Studienbuch, which functioned as my evidence that I'm a student at the Uni-Freiburg. Today, though, I got my uni-card. Deutsche Post (Germany's USPS) lost it in the mail because they sent it on the 10th. Also note that the postage send around Friday or Thursday from the States arrived today, Tuesday.

But the best part about the Uni Card is that I first had to bring a passport photo in to get it. I needed it right away and I'm all out of the ones I brought. So I went to this photography studio just to get a normal pass photo. The photographer lady starts powdering my face, turning on all these lights, and having me almost pose for the shot. I was just thinking I'd stand there with a half-smile and turn that it. But she took multiple shots for the "best photo". What a wierd experience for a passport photo. BUT, it turned out much better than I expected--and totally normal.

Other than that-

-German's knock on the tables at the end of every lecture as applause

-Few feel the need to be silent during a lecture, even during the important parts

- Oh, and I finally got a Cell Phone! From Germany, the number is 015151457590 I think that you have to dial the country code first(, Mom). The country code is 49
I also have a land line in my room, but have no clue what the number is and I need to call the U.S.

That's the long-winded update.

Later Days,
Rick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick,

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick,
I sure enjoy reading your daily updates. Sounds like you are having a whale of a good time. I'm glad that you found your student ID. Wow, bet that had you on pins and needles for awhile.
Say, I would like for you to send me your address where you are staying. Have you found any chocolate chip cookies? Cheryl