Saturday, April 14, 2007

a grillin experience




the last update being up to Wednesday night, that leaves the rest of the week to cover. My wireless internet in my apartment decided to stop functioning on Thursday, so I sit in an internet cafe trying to type this on a German keyboard.

Thursday was another day of orientation. We learned that if we have questions, we can ask our specific subject advisor. But no one really knows where to find that person, so we´re all still at square 1, well maybe square 2 by now.

But Thursday night was fun because my apartment roommates bought a grill and had a huge group over to enjoy everything grillable. It was hysterical because we moved out 3 couches, 2 grills, a few tables, chairs, a living room lamp, and Christmas lights for the space. I have a photo of it, but that would be stuck on my computer...which doesn´t have internet.

Lo an behold Friday was similar experience--although this time in English. A group of about 30 of us each went out to the grocery store, brought some meat, some drink, and some garnishes and rented 3 grills from the apartment complex. BUT, no one knew how to grill. That meant about 2 hours of trying to light the coals, trying it with lighter fluid, trying it with paper, sticks, reeds from the lake, anything we thought would burn. So we concluded that the coals stunk and finally, the grill I was around got everything started and finished the first load of grillin before the others had put their meat on. We were proud, although it was mostly Luis, a Portugese friend, who got it going.

So that was the "grillin experience". My apartment is doing it again tonight, but we´re all headed to the semester opening event at the Stusie apartments.

Later Days,
Rick.

(photos to come if I can ever get on to my home computer´s internet)

No comments: