Sunday, April 22, 2007

Europa Park

I REALLY with that Germans were as dependent on the internet as Americans. It's ridiculous how inconsistent it is. My apartment had it for one day before it went out...again. Now I sit on the concrete steps outside the library where we actually have wireless, but writing fast enough to publish the blog before my battery dies. Apparently i'm supposed to be thankful for the internet, becuase in France they practically don't even have it.

Anyway, Saturday we went to Europa Park, as the photo on left shows. This is the largest amusement park in Germany with each ride themed around a different country. You see us in the back row, Mike on left, Alastair in blude, Luis in green, and me (rick) on end in Red.
What an exhausting day of sun, rides, water and wetness, and plenty of walking. On top of that, Saturday night was the semester opening party at the StuSie (a housing complex where almost all my friends live). So as soon as we got back, we got ready to go out--a double whammy.

The other day at the grocery store, I met a friend from Minnesota. Just a common place, I run into Lincoln who informed me that he's been studying there since January.

Other than Europa Park, the week has been relatively calm. Classes on Wednesday for 6 hours (next week will be 8), which were really hard to understand. Thursday spent shopping, plus a wine and cheese party hosted by the International Club, and Friday taking care of library registration. There are SO many rules here just to borrow a stinkin book.

Oh, and I got my Studienbuch back (the equivalent of my Student ID). It came in the mail from the Uni.

Despite Wells Fargo being the 4th largest Financial Depository institution in the United States, it apparently sucks at doing international wires to the largest bank in Europe. I got the worst exchange rate, with a terrible fee (that should have been avoided because of an agreement with Deutsche Bank) and had to spend 20 minutes on the phone (which cost 7 euros to do) just to take care of it. Why can't it be..."this is Rick here, send money to Germany. Thank you good bye" ?

And my European address is
Studentenwohnheim Vauban
Merzhauserstrasse 154 15-00-01
79100 Freiburg
Germany

Until the next adventure finding internet.
Later Days,
Rick

No comments: