Sunday, June 10, 2007

Pfingstenpause (an excuse to Vacation) Part X

Sunday
To try to make up for last night, I went out to a bakery and grabbed German pastries for the girls for breakfast. We dine and discuss salaries and I discover that Sweden is a middle-class economy; no one is poor and likewise no one is particularly rich. Next I deliver the bad news that it’s Germany and all shopping stores are closed. I head to the Haupt Bahn Hof (central Train station) to meet Rachel, and part ways with the Swedes ½ way there.
Rachel and I catch the tram to Potsdam, first visiting the Lady of Luck (seen left), the Rathaus (courthouse and city hall), and then next to the REAL Brandenburger Tor. Lunch on the pedestrian street and a short visit to the hanging rhinoceros; walk through park and see Fredrick the Great’s summer castle with lots of grape vines for always fresh fruit. We climb up another castle and are scolded by the old German who watches the stairs for not minding the red light. Off to the huge dual castle, of course covered by paper for renovation/restoration. Back to the city with a stop at a snack shop for cake, ignoring the mean server-lady, then again off to a snack shop to grab items to eat by the lake. We sit down and enjoy watching the waves flow by and the crane lifting the little Metro car onto a ferry for some unknown reason. We continue along the shore with moderate success to get back to the train station. There I check my e-mail and discover 96 new messages which amount, in majority, to my Facebook Birthday messages.

That evening we met for dinner at Hackescher Markt. Val, a friend of my Freiburg friend staying in the same hostel, came with for the start. We had terrible luck at the first restaurant as we waited for 15 minutes until no server showed up and I had to rush into finally try and grab our drinks. We said our goodbyes before the last tram at 1:20 a.m. after the bar close at midnight. My 5 minute walk back was quite amusing as I discovered that legal prostitutes hang around Oranienburgerstrasse and two of whom started to approach me from the other side of the street. I couldn't clearly see them because they were 30 feet away and I didn’t have my glasses, but only later while talking to my roommate back home did he tell me they were wearing corsets and carrying money pouches on their waists.
What a splendid ending to an evening...And for the final day of travels...
Later Days,
Rick

No comments: