Thursday, June 7, 2007

Pfingstenpause (an excuse to Vacation) Part V

Tuesday
Parting ways, Sven continued along the Swedish coast up to Stockholm while I initially thought I’d stay in Malmö for the day then bus over to Copenhagen. Fortunately another roommate, John, asked if I was going to Copenhagen and offered a ride with his friend and him. Having a very flexible schedule, I changed my plans and first went with John and Alla to a REAL, Authentic, Swedish IKEA—in Sweden. (John and Alla had traveled since January and went, literally, around the world. They shared great stories about following the Cherry blossoms in Japan or fearing for their lives in the back of a maniac taxi driver in Egypt.
So we drove over the bridge to Denmark and parted ways at my hostel.





I decide to stroll around, visit the parliament building with a terribly disappointing courtyard, a much more pleasant garden, and the Royal Library (a.k.a. the Black Diamond). Grabbing a bite at the library’s café, I head back to nap. Unlike in the U.S. where I can control my naps to 20 minutes, European naps overtake me for 4 hours, like in Copenhagen. The only reason I woke up was to find food (what a primal afternoon; hike, sleep, food/eat) and I found the main pedestrian street, grabbed a Sharawah Kyllan (like a German Döner Kebab), picked up a Mountain Dew at the 7-11, and then continued to be sorely disappointed by the European interpretation of American pop.
Early to bed, I start writing my notes and then am interrupted when meeting my roommates; 2 from New York, 1 from Cornell (but London this semester), 2 from Brisbon Australia (but teaching in London), 1 from Japan, and 1 from Freiburg. Til Tomorrow,
Later Days,
Rick

No comments: