Sunday, June 10, 2007

Pfingstenpause (an excuse to Vacation) Part VII


(So the photo was taken the day before, but look, it says "Ole" as a first name, that means I'm in Sweden! I just had to take a photo thinking of Grandpa Fawcett and all the Ole & Lena Jokes)










Thursday
Start the morning looking for a Starbucks as a Frappaccino was the current craving. Settling for their Starbucks-substitute, I sat in the café and read for 1 ½ hours. Now off to the harbor to see “The Little Mermaid”, a metallic statue of a mermaid perched on a boulder overlooking the incoming bay, where I also saw four business-dressed professionals who turned out to be bankers in treasury and capital markets from the United Kingdom. Still I debate what the better sight was, the mermaid or the businessmen…
The walk back included the new opera house and the queen’s castle. Returning to city center with book in hand, I grabbed some freshly-made, very sweet rhubarb ice cream (a recommendation from the “Use it” office) and read along the canal. Moving to the Legislative Garden to continue, I heard loud noise off in the distance. It turned out to be a protest against elementary school budget cuts. I asked a red-haired girl about my age, Tina, and she explained the situation while chatting about herself and her life as a preschool teacher in Copenhagen training to be a Midwife. Depart through town and see acappella group (24 people) that were just singing. I stayed for a bit until they started Justin Timberlake songs in 4-part harmony. Now I had to kill time until my bus at 11:00 p.m. So I found another café and read more of Atlas Shrugged. Then I grabbed a Carlsberg beer from 7-11 to try Scandinavian beer; sat in the courthouse platz and said goodbye to Copenhagen. Then departed to Berlin and chatted with a Polish student, Martin, who just finished his study in Copenhagen and was going home for good.
Back in Germany with more stories,
Later Days,
Rick

No comments: