Thursday, June 7, 2007

Pfingstenpause (an excuse to vacation) Part 1

Wake up at 3:30 a.m. (after 2:30 in bed). Train from central station to Basel. Then taxi to catch my flight—33 Euros to find out there was a direct bus! Helen, friend from Freiburg, told me so. She, coincidentally, was on the same flight to Hamburg.
Arrive in Hamburg at 8:30. Get to Ernst & young by 9:30. Irem, guide for morning ( told her I was studying in Freiburg so she said “oh, well then, we can certainly do this all in German.”
Hamburg EY office is Huge, gorgeous, and has natural lighting in every office. So 2 hours of Q & A, tour, (slightly awkward around other staff since my German stinks)
I walk through the area around E&Y, it’s quite residential, but then there’s this huge market lining the street. Ends at a large cathedral. Continue 2 blocks and arrive at a splendid park on the shore of the Alster River. Also see this John Deere in the park. Didn't they existed outside of Rural Minnesota--Dad may appreciate this. Noticing the time, I rush back to catch all the trams. I stored my at the airports. I had to go all the way back then back to central train station to catch the bus. I hate RyanAir. We flew from “Hamburg” to “Stockholm” but neither actual airports were witin 1 hour driving distance. There’s more $ gone on a bus. Next is the cool part. I arrive in Sweden (no one checked my passport) and got the bus. That bus ride was great because I started a German conversation with the woman next to me (Teacher from around Hamburg with brothers North of Stockholm, daughter near Stuttgart who just got a job offer!) I could see at points the look of her struggling to understand me, but a whole hour.
Then came the hardest part. I’m at the train terminal, can’t read the signs, don’t know where to go, almost literally lost. BUT, I used my resources, bought a train ticket (good for 3 days), used a map, got to a stop, followed the map and ended up at a hostel. No availability. Next hotel; nothing. Next said nothing, but has ONE room so I took it immediately. It costs as much in one night as 2 at the other hostel, but its comfort and my worry is over. So after a shower, I reserved hostels for the remainder of my stay, bought some dinner, and sit in front of a fountain in a castle square as I write this. What a good day—long; good.

Next comes Stockholm...
Later Days,
Rick

No comments: