Sunday, May 6, 2007

We went to France...and it was French.

After a day of completely lounging on Thursday and conversing with the new SAFA (Student Accounting & Finance Association) executive board, we went off to Strasbourg on the western border of France, and only 1 1/2 hours away on the slow train.


Welcomed by a pungent smell, scaffolding and the sounds of construction, we arrived in Strasbourg. Fortunately it was only 1 KM walk to city center and on the way, we ran into this building. To me, it's a friendly face. Anyone else recognize the angle on the corner? the approximate hight? the offices not starting until the 2nd/3rd floor?
check out www.csom.umn.edu if you're still guessing


Cliona (left) and Alastair (right), both of whom are fluent in French and studied there for 6 months before coming to Freiburg, found these small alleyway/streets the most entertaining. This one in particular, just north of the cathedral, displayed flags down the street. The best part is that most the names were German, indicating the history of Strasbourg--going back and forth between Germany and France. (I think 4 times)











And what do you do when you're in Europe and there's a really old and tall cathedral? you climb to the top. (or as high as they'll let you)

66 meters in the air we climbed up the "something something Notre Dame".

Great view, lots of wind, good times.

We also went and saw the European Parliament building--modern, on the river, closed to all tourists despite walking an hour to see it...(cue disappointing music, whah, whah, whahh)






And the highlight of MY day was the picture you see to the left. I've decided to play a game while in Europe, something like Where's Waldo. In every major city I visit, I want to find the Ernst & Young office and photograph myself with the E&Y Sign! This will actually be really good for me because 1) it will give me something to do in every city, 2)it'll make for a fun album when I'm finished 3)it will allow me to see the business district in each city I visit--something most tourists never encounter, but what I'm normally most interested in. (and I think Carly Kohler or Julie Brown, the primary recruiters at Ernst & Young minneapolis, will get a kick out of it).

To continue the story, I was really impressed with the office. Top story of one of the tallest towers (17th floor--hey, that's high for Europeans). First the receptionist asked if we were on the wrong floor. But after explaining that I interned at and received an offer from an American office, she asked if I wanted a tour of their office, if I wanted to meet some representatives and speak about working in France, what I thought about working in Europe, and if I wanted additional information. (and she spoke fluent French, English, and German!) I was astonished--normally the French are jerks. I can only hope for such a warm reception across the continent.

Well, it's about 68 degrees here (finally some wheather I'm used to) and I've got a novel on Investments and Financing options to read.

Later Days,
Rick

Coming soon...The world's biggest coo-koo clock, the largest waterfall in Europe, (both in Triberg), Ernst & Young in Frankfurt, and the possibly the highest mountain in the Black Forest.

No comments: