Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Financial Capital of the Continent



Let's see, what's gone on this past week?.... Honestly aside from going to Frankfurt on Friday I really don't know. Well, yeah there was class, but anything else particularly important...not sure.

Waking up at 5:23 a.m. to get to Frankfurt by early, I rode the train up to the financial capital of the contiguous European Continent. Second to London, Frankfurt am Main (where the main airport is also located) holds the European Central Bank, the Deutsche Boerse Group (The DAX--equal to the New York Stock Exchange), Deutshe Bank Headquarters, and the German National Bank. (In total there are over 300 banks! What a city for me!) Plus, since the city was almost entirely destroyed during WWII, the efforts to rebuild focused on newer buildings as opposed to restoration of the ancient city--as most other German cities have done.
On top of the 7 story Shopping mall, you see me pictured with the Frankfurt Skyline. (Although it's hardly comparable to the States because the tallest building is about 65 stories...which is almost equivalent to Minneapolis. Nothing like Chicago or NYC)
But my first stop on the trip was Ernst & Young's Frankfurt Office---WHOA!--this place was huge, having two 12 story (approx) tall buildings solely for E & Y. When I visited I unfortunately was unable to see anything or meet with anyone because they were all in meetings and I didn't have my American security pass with me--Julie unfortunately took that away at the end of the Internship.



During the day, I went up the Main Tower, which has a viewing platform on the 56th floor. However, it was terribly windy and for safety reasons that was closed. Great. Still, I got to go to the 55th floor and look through the windows for a 200 degree view of the city. Oddly enough, the security guard up there, who was pointing out things around the city, is a HUGE fan of DCI (Drum Corps International)--the same thing I went to Madison to see last summer. He knew all the bands and has gone to the States 5 times--just to see the championship. What a coincidence.
To the left, this beaconing structure standing above the park was my final destination. Recognize the logo? This is Deutsche Bank. Again, not able to go IN because I had no meeting or knew no one, I only saw the lobby. But it was still a remarkable sight.
And of couse, I had to get the photo with the Deutsche Bank logo. Sadly I know so little about the company, BUT how could I not fall in love with it? If it's name is anything like the company, then it'll be great. It combines two of my top loves--Banking & German! (Deutsche translates to German). The largest bank in Europe.
So, all in all, the day was very pleasant. Next time in Frankfurt...and I really hope there is a next time...I'll make appointments so I can speak with a recruiter at Ernst & Young, a recruiter at Deutsche Bank (maybe for an internship next summer), and so I can get a tour of the DAX (stock exchange. They said you have to register at least 1 day in advance). And next time, I'll be healthy. The small cold I've had all week mounted into one to take me out for a bit. But I'm getting through it. Well, that's the story from Lake Wobeg...whoops, wrong one. That was Frankfurt. Coming soon: Basel, Switzerland and a end-of-May trip to Sweden, Denmark, Hamburg, & Berlin!
Later Days,
Rick

No comments: