Sunday, August 5, 2007

a short Vacay along the Border

--2007--

The Year of my European Adventure
The day after my last final, I went off to travel along the Western German border. First to Trier, Germany (the oldest city in Deutschland, older than the Romans).


The Elk here is the symbol for the Culture Capital of Europe for 2007, which is Luxembourg and surrounding area.

(I first thought it was something for MTV or Comedy Central when I saw it)
By the castle and park in Trier. The morning was rainy and a miserable walk across the entire city from the Hauptbahnhof (train station) to the hostel. But then the second I left the hostel to see the city everything cleared up.









What I first discovered in Trier.

The sign reads, "Dear Guests, we are taking a Vacation from Business from July 2- July 27. -Your ATHENA Team".

There's almost no way they could pull that off in the U.S.
But, hey, it's Europe. They take vacation.

(the marker writing simply says, "Open Today starting at 5:30")



The sunset in Trier. Really a beautiful city.









Here, Nina (brunette), Linda (blonde), and I explored Luxembourg, Luxemburg together. Nina & Linda are friends from Uni-Freiburg.

Linda is actually from Luxembourg, so it was great having a personal guide through the city and then when we met up with her friends, I actually got to hear Luxembourgish. (almost, well, actually, a whole language on its own. A combination of slurred German with a bit of French influence)

As you'll see below, the city was gorgeous, founded in 963 above a large valley.
But we did have one jerk in the hostel room, the fat, hairy, foreigner who snored loudly and irregularly, and of course, slept in the nude, which added a disadvantage to the location.

Here is what I mentioned.

Luxembourg above the gorgeous valley (Tal, auf Deutsch) and with sunny weather fantastic for sitting on a bench with a cup of coffee.







Next after only 2 1/2 hour train ride I was in Liege, Belgium (french speaking part of Belgium). And, as always with the French, they only learn French. A few people had a pair of words in German, but I actually had it once where I went into the office building where Ernst & Young was located and asked the lady if she spoke English (I at least asked the question in French). "Non" was her answer. Wha?!?! Business center, speak English! That was a bit of a challenge. And here I am standing on the top of over 300 stairs, randomly replacing the need for a steep street.


And here a Belgian Waffel in Belgium. Because they spoke French and very little English, a friend in Freiburg actually recommended and wrote out what I should order. So when I went in I tried, but I ended up just showing the paper to the employee and they knew then what to do.


Maastricht, Netherlands. (Holland as all Germans say). I actually met a Dutch man in Liege and ran into him again in Maastricht where he studied for college for 7 years. He is a translator between Deutsch and Dutch, and English and Dutsch. So he gave me tipps on what to see in the city.
Unfortunately, I was so tired I just wanted to get back to Germany so I was only in the country for about 4 hours. Tired because in Liege was also a fat foreigner who snored.

And back in Germany I found Cologne (Koeln auf Deutsch). Right along the Rhein River, here the railroad bridge lies in the background over the Rhein.
The city prides itself very strongly on it's Cathedral...








The cathedral poorly pictured here.
Loaded with tourists, I of course went up to see the view and "do the sights". Although the city was great with a nice view, the tourists everywhere totally turned me off to it.
Well, now that the trip has been updated, I'll eventually get around to the blog of "Germany makes Party". The story of how right at the end of the semester, there was a party tent around every corner. BUT, I had to study all of July so that meant I was at home locking my windows trying to block out the sound.
More to come later.
Next I am off to London & Dublin with my best friends here, Philipp and Viktor.
Until then,
Later Days,
Rick










No comments: