Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Meine erste Woche zurueck...

The ride back to Minneapolis was a long one. I rode 2 hours on the fast German Train (Deutsche Bahn ICE) from Freiburg to Frankfurt am Main. Then in the airport I had 3 hours to wait before departure. I first checked in; was selected for random check because of my electricity converter. Whatever; I had time. Then I put my bags on the scale and they are both over--which I anticipated--but the fees were twice as high as I expected and in euros. A nice 80 euro fee to ship my heavy luggage home then came PLUS a tidbit that the plane I was flying on was overbooked. I had the opportunity to go on Standby and if all the spots were full, then I could stay in Germany that night, Lufthansa would give me 600 Euros Cash and pay for my hotel and food. I was talking to the counter attendent practically begging her to let me stay in Germany. She was excited to see that I was gung ho for Deutschland (im Vergleich zu den Foerdern fuer die USA, wie der normaler Typ). But as the line filed on the plane and the tickets were counted, she regrettedly gave me my ticket back to the United States and with welling eyes I accepted it and boarded my plane at approximately 5:00 p.m (17:00 Germany Time).
Because the plane flew from Germany, all the flight attendants were fluent in German. 9 Hours later I landed in Chicago, making it 7:00 p.m. CST and feeling like 2:00 a.m. German time.

My first step was to go through customs. I had three hours again so was not worried. But in the line, I declared that I brought back bacon for my father, real black-forest bacon directly from the butcher and purchased at the marketplace by our city cathedral that I visited regularly during my time in Freiburg. The damn customs agent checked it and said, "Nope. You can't bring this into the country," despite it being air-sealed and pork. The bastard confiscated my gift for my father, the gift I had carted 8,000KM, the gift perfect for my father the Farmer. This customs agent took it away because there was at one point in Germany's history the case of a disease.

Through customs, I finally find my terminal for Minneapolis. I purchase some french fries and was surprised that I received a bill for $1 (Euro uses a coin for 1 and 2 Euros). And then I bought a Mountain Dew--something I had been craving for the past 6 months--and was surprised to find that the price listed on the sign was not what I had to pay. It said "Pop-$2.09". So i laid $2.09 on the counter and the guy asked for, "$2.36". Damn it. So I paid the tax. "Welcome to America, Rick".
One nice thing was that while waiting in the seats to board for Minneapolis, I realized I forgot my entire Study abroad binder on the plane from Germany. But as I went to talk to the gate attendant, a Lufthansa flight attendant walked up and asked if "Rick" was around and had my black binder in hand. This woman came all the way from the international terminals, searched my connecting flights, and found me at the end of the domestic terminals just to give my my lost item. I love German companies and German service.
Flight to Minneapolis--check. Landed at 11:50 p.m. = 6:50 a.m. Germany time. Realize I had woken up at 6:30 a.m. the day before and had NOT slept at all on the traveling to the U.S. Then I was supposed to be picked up by my roommate (Matt) at 11:30. I had no phone. I had no coins. I had no way of reaching him. I'm panicking for a bit and pacing up and down the corridor hoping to catch a glimpse of my roommate. But Gott sei dank that I found a friend I knew from Minnesota, asked her if I could borrow her cell phone, found a number for my Roommate on my Palm, and ended up speaking with his mother who then gave me his cellular phone number. Got in touch, he showed up 15 minutes later. We loaded everything in, my other roommate came too (Jon), and when we were in the car, the conversation was as if I had never left. They didn't ask about Europe; they simply discussed normal events and happenings. When back in the apartment at 1:00 a.m. CST = 8 :00 a.m. Germany time, I dumped my stuff down and fell asleep very quickly.
The next few days contained the goal to see as many as my friends as possible and do as much "Minnesota-things" to remind me that I wanted to be here. After two days, I visited my friend Bridget in Maplewood. Pictured here is Jill and me taking a "MySpace Photo" (where you simply extend your arm with the camera in it and take a picture of yourself). Jill followed my blog the entire time I was abroad--something that really made me feel that a piece of Home was always with me in Freiburg.
While driving around with Bridget, I had the hard feelings of adjusting back to American ways. The streets were different, the businesses were different, the ads, the people, the cars, the skys. It wasn't home; it wasn't pleasant. But Bridget was always right there and she had just returned from Boston and had loved it. She left a lot as well, so in that day we could empathize as each missed home while being in it already.

Always amazing was/is Julie. Julie and I hung out for the first few days of my readjustment to American life. She had to put up with me always referencing what they would do in Germany and she had to tolerate my poor English because a lot of words were coming to my head in German and I then had to translate into English.
The second night, Julie cooked a deliciou pasta dinner and made caramel apples with sprinkles. Kristi is admiring her suggary delight here left.
Then a few days later, Julie, Sarah, Chris, and I went to the state fair (photos available on Facebook) and had an amazing time at the "Great Minnesota Get Together". I had so much fun with these friends, I still think about it often.

ich vermisse mein Heim.
I'm still adjusting to all the intricate aspects of American culture, currently emphasizing homework in addition to final exams, and missing Germany a lot. However, I am looking heavily into internships in Frankfurt and London next summer. If I'm in London, then I could work with Philipp and if I'm in Frankfurt, then I'll be back in Germany. I have a lot of work to do, but I'll make it happen and I will go back to Germany. I miss my home and there is no way I can leave it forever.
So I thank you for reading this blog. It has been an adventure abroad and a pleasure to know that you took the time to see me. Thank you!
Later Days,
Rick

1 comment:

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

oh I heart my mother. That is the best picture ever....

--you also didn't tell everyone what we did that day. DAIRY QUEEN! mmm.