Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Pleasant Conclusion to Teaching--A Return to Consulting

I have 17 days left in China.  I’ve learned thousands of Chinese characters, taught hundreds of students, seen dozens of cities, and now I have but 17 days of this experience.

Although there are still 6 days of classes, I had the following, pleasant experience that I feel nicely concludes my work.

 

The 11th grade English teaching staff invited me to present to them on the differences I have observed between Western and Chinese classes as well as provide any suggestions I may have for improving the classroom environment.  I’d like to think of it as: I was asked to consult.  Also of note, I gave the entire presentation in Chinese.

 

I came two years ago having no real teaching education, no teaching experience, and no language knowledge.  In these two years in the job, I have invested myself in doing well by my students and by myself.  My own language abilities progressed to pass an advanced level test.  My rapport with the students developed to garner a rating of 93% extreme student satisfaction.  And my colleagues, through this invitation, expressed their respect of my work. 

 

It’s been a great two years.  Slowly onto the next phase of life.

 

Later days,
Rick

 

1 comment:

iLikeToBake said...

How exciting Rick! It's been interesting and fun to follow your experiences in China (and previously Germany) and it sounds like it's been a fantastic life building experience for you! I hope the next phase is just as exciting and rewarding :)