Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Metropolis is for Me

Spring festival holiday has arrived for me, meaning 36 days of holiday. 5 have already passed and I enjoyably spent them in Shanghai--the commercial capital of China. It's a metropolis on par with New York and Frankfurt (in my opinion.) Every moment in one of those cities and I'm ever more in awe, ever more desiring to simply never leave. (You can likely imagine how I reacted when I saw Deutsche Bank's headquarters in Shanghai. If only.)

The original idea to come to Shanghai was to see a UofM friend, Sijie. She's on her senior year winter break and, like me, flying back today the 12th. Playing on her idea, I stretched the visit to a 3 day trip--a relaxing end to a stressful semester and a pleasant start to a month holiday filled solely with study.

What a city. I don't need to see tourist sights, instead I dine. These past days were Mexican, Irish, Italian, German. While inflated in price, I think of it as what I would have spent on admission tickets. Better yet, each one is in an ever-more interesting place like the French Concession, XinTian Di, the Bund, or PuDong.
Now to make it even better, as I fly home to Zhengzhou, I somehow managed to get a first class ticket. Like I said, I love this city.

Later days,
Rick

1 comment:

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Food is such an important part of traveling, that's for sure.