Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My wonderful classroom, with Big Brother and all

Two things my school (and most of China) are not good at: preservation and predictability. My classroom, despite being only a decade old, looks in desperate need of repair (or demolition)--thank you low-quality original material and construction combined with lack of preservation. Amusingly, the funds are, instead, invested into the latest technology. Although I do have a SmartBoard, which I couldn't do without, I now have a big black camera gazing into my classroom giving me the constant feeling "we're watching you." The students say it's only for tests to prevent cheating, which is comforting as I am reminded that no one really cares what we do in class, hence how two of the other teachers can show movies every class without any consequence.

In line with the electronics updates, the school also decided to replace/do whatever to our air conditioners. Great! Unfortunately we weren't informed of this. We first found out as we saw everything disconnected and strewn across thd floor, just as we began our 2 hour test... at full room capacity...with 95 degree weather... just after the students finished an exhausting PE exercise test. One just never knows what to expect and enjoy here at 47.

Later days,
Rick

No comments: