Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Infuriating Furnace

It's the day before the Dragon Boat Festival in China. Having 6 days off thanks to the holiday and testing days, I decided to travel to Wuhan, a city rumored to have a great dragon boat race festival and only a short 3 1/2 hour train trip south.

Immediaetly upon my arrival, my growing dislike for the city began. Despite all the maps I checked nothing would prepare me that my train station is not on the map, it being so new and far out of the city. A bus did connect to the city center, but only after I followed signs leading to the subway to be later told that the subway has not yet been built. They were just preparing for it by putting it on every sign.
Arriving in the city center, the hostel was another nightmare to find, ultimately behind a different building than in their directions.

I started today off with the best part of the trip so far--Starbucks. Tinged with envy that this crap city has 8 Starbucks and my city has none, I nevertheless enjoyed myself. Follow this with a trip to the touted festival destination to find only a few food stands, deserted race ropes, and not a single piece of information that could tell me what time the races were at; all that was listed was "Saturday."

I found my way to a pedestrian shopping area like a bad copy of Shanghai's road, and then made my way to an area touted for "great shopping." That is the picture here. Ha!

Cool, yet 95% humidity. No clouds, but pollution so thick you can't see across the river.
Unless tonight really turns things around, I can forever cross this city off my travel destinations.

I am now overwhelmed with laughter at just how ridiculous this is! All I can do is laugh.

No comments: