Thursday, March 31, 2011

I ran a marathon in China!... ok mini marathon...ok, a 5K

This past weekend was the annual Zhengzhou-Kaifeng Marathon (for real runners), but they had a "mini-marathon" for common folk like me!  It was just a 5K.  I have to admit, though, I’ll never do this again in China. 

My total time was 28:10, which really upset me until I measured the distance online and discovered it was actually 6.5 Km.  That’s not even close to a 5k.  I was really confused because Saturday I ran exactly 5 km at 24’, so how could one day later be 4 minutes slower?  In effect, my time was 21:39, which I’m very happy with (7 min miles and 8.5 mph).  

However, the race itself was stunk; there were 20,000 people so it was crowded with everyone staring and photographing “the foreigner”.  We lined up at 9 and waited an hour in a crowded block long line up for the start, dozens of people cut across as we looped back so they could cheat and the finish line was super crowded.  Imagine running a fast pace, sprinting to the finish and then there is a crowd of spectators wanting to see their one finisher while many more people pour in from behind.  You feel like crap and are then thrown in the middle of a crowd.  Well, on the upside, I got a cool t-shirt!


The Entire Number 47 Middle School running participants (spot the two foreigners in the upper right!)

Jason, a friend at the school, invited me to run with him.  If not for him, I wouldn't have known about it.

Before the race at 9:00 a.m.  By now I'm still happy and ready to run.

The block long line-up of 20,000 "runners".  There were so many that as I was looping back and finishing, there were still people starting.

After the race.  Yes, this is the terrible grin common in most my pictures; but here it's deserved.  I thought it had gone really poorly, but I'm glad it's finished.

All in all, I'm thankful that I ran and did some exercise, but I'll know next year to simply be a supportive spectator.

Later Days,
Rick

1 comment:

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! And how many people have a race tshirt from China? Worth the stares, I think.