Tuesday, August 31, 2010

There is no such thing as a sidewalk.

Did you know that in China, the cars that want to go a little slower than normal traffic drive on the sidewalk / bike lane?  Do you know where the bikers go then?  Yep, in between the slow cars and the pedestrians.  Guess where the pedestrians are.  Yep, everywhere!  Sean (the other English teacher here at Zhengzhou middle school No. 47) and I agree, crossing a main street is more adventure than most thrill-seekers ever know.  Literally, the goal is dodge the cars.

(I know my mother won't enjoy reading this post, but it's unforgettable that it just deserves a note.)

Later Days,
Rick

P.S.  As you note from this, I went to the hub of the city I'm in (Zhengzhou) and, let me tell you, it is exactly the chaos you envision.  Woah.  (Philipp or anyone who wants to visit, if you read this blog, get ready for it because you know I'm dragging you there as well.)