Sunday, December 16, 2012

A White Winterland; Week 4 in Mpls

With such an incredible snowfall in Minneapolis, I looked forward to seeing it from multiple views--here the blick off my workplace's 5th floor balcony.  

One asks, "how much snow did we get?" I answer with, "this much."

This is an undiscovered joy of my central location.  As my aunt Cheryl and uncle Brad were underway to the Gopher game, they found the time to swing by for pre-game cocktails and pesto chicken on rotini.


So much maroon and gold--it makes me so happy.  Plus, the Gophers were victorious!  Why wouldn't they be with Tubby at the helm?

12:12 on 12/12/12!  (Thank goodness there are not 14 months in the year--this is a reference likely only my immediate family will understand.)

The excitement of corporate life--our holiday calendar exchange!  Each person purchases a ridiculous calendar and we, at random, grab one that we must display for the subsequent 12 months.  My desk is now adorned with "Treehouses of the world."
 (My balded boss in back with the thick-rimmed glasses. Oh, Steve.  The contracts team actually dressed as him for Halloween.  He's a good guy.)

My sister came over Friday night with, what she described were "excess Christmas decorations."  My decorations are two sole strands of garland and four Gopher ornaments, and somehow she has too much for her house.  Either way, we decorated on Friday and got to hang the ornaments my mother gave me--one for each year.  It was great to be with family and decorate the tree, just as we had done for the past 25 years.

My Friday night company--what a beautiful gal!  This is also a college friend who, coincidentally, is my coworker.  We get along incredibly well and work only 6 feet from one another.  While this contributes positively to the work environment, it may have detrimental effects on productivity levels.
 Saturday morning started early with brunch at Manny's (with the college friend/Wing Wednesday crowd)
 Then it was off to the 8th floor holiday display at Macy's--a true Minneapolis tradition.

 Then we made Gluhwine (mulled wine) at my apartment.  It's seasoned, warm wine.  As I learned in Germany--NEVER boil your gluhwine.
 Then comes Holidazzle on Nicollet mall.  My sister and brother-in-law joined for their first ever Holidazzle (don't let them know it was my 3rd this year!)
 The night ended early (9 p.m.) with dinner downtown.  This crowd and I are such beer fans that we all reveled when receiving our bills, quoting, "wow! It's so cheap when you don't drink."
Sunday was some necessary Christmas shopping on Nicollet mall and then a neighbor's floor party to meet their neighbors.  I love my building.

Again, I am loving living downtown.  I get to see such great people and have so much fun.  Now it's off to bed for another week at the job!

Later days,
Rick

No comments: