Monday, October 15, 2012

A fabled move

I've traveled; I've met people from multiple corners of the world; I've learned languages; I've made memories.  Now, I want to set up my life.  My desire to quantify life leads me to evaluate it with a formula.  Each component I want in my life represents a factor being summed.  Altogether, the total must exceed an arbitrary level of happiness.

Job + Family + Friends + Culture/Theater/Orchestra + Restaurant Scene + Dating Scene + Public Transportation + Job Opportunities + Active Community = Standard of Living

After China, a month in Europe, and seeing family and friends in Minnesota, I thought Minneapolis/St. Paul just might be enough for me.  I then looked into some firms in which I'd been interested for the past 5 years.  After a waiting process and unfortunate responses, things simply didn't work out for me in Minnesota.

Thus, (thank you Glee for providing storylines and songs with which I identify)
It's Time
Now it's time for that oft-attempted, fabled move to New York City.  With my love of a metropolis, this city has all the components I need to make the life I want. 

I've moved into foreign environments before, four times actually.  I know what it takes to make new friends, learn a city, find new routines, and adapt to a different way of life.
Roots Before Branches (Thanks again Glee)



With each experience, I feel I'm ever more capable to make it in New York.

However, this time there's no Plan B.  After Freiburg, Stuttgart, and even China, I always had something in the back of my mind that I may pursue.  There was always another experience I was eyeing.  

So this is it.


Empire State of Mind 


 I fly on Tuesday morning with a suit, resume, and those skills I possess.  Until then it's many farewells--something I know all too well--and flooding the market with my resume.
It's time to do what it takes, fight for the life I want.  It's time for New York.



Later Days,
Rick

No comments: