Saturday, December 3, 2011

Off to Singapore he goes

In 36 hours Dominick (郭维), an exceptional student I had the privilege to tutor for the last 10 months, will board the plane for Singapore. He'll begin a planned 11 years in Singapore, in which time he'll complete a bridging course, a degree at a world-leading university, and six years of work. Today he and I had our final session together, and I said farewell.

Working with Dominick has been incredible. He works unbelievably hard. In our time working together he won 1st prize in a Zhengzhou speaking competition, earned a full ride to the University of Singapore, and won #1 in all of Henan for an English competition. Well done, Dominick.

It's strange to be in this position--I'm watching him leave. Usually it's the other way around. Either way, I'm thrilled for him as he experiences many many firsts--first time flying, first time leaving the country, first time in Singapore, etc. Ironically, do you know what he's most worried about? He's most worried about how the food on the plane will taste.
Today I wished him well and am silenced in contemplation as I watch a significant part of my Chinese experience come to an end. Fortunately, I get to hear about everything in 6 months when he briefly returns to China--just in time to see me off.

Later Days,
Rick

No comments: