Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hooray, my students (mostly) like me!

This past Friday I willingly subjected myself to that which anyone may fear--open feedback.  I distributed feedback surveys to all my students asking them to evaluate the class and evaluate me.  They gave responses both on a
  • "1-Strongly Disagree 5--No opinion 9-Strongly Agree" scale and 
  • Free response "What do you like? ...dislike?"
I'm happy to report that the results were very promising!  94% of students would recommend me and 97% believe that I'm a good teacher.


However, in my traditional fashion, while 94% of comments were positive, I'm still focusing excessively on those other 6%.  Perfection must be attained!  :-D 

In their written responses, the students were surprisingly fair.  They understand the class is more difficult and more work; thus they asked for a compromise to integrate some relaxing activities, like movie assignments, culture discussions, or even learning more about me.

The most peculiar of all was one student's response;  (this student is the reason for the 3% "No Opinion for the question about a good teacher, the 3% for "Slightly Negative" regarding recommending me, and also the 3% "No Opinion" for want again).  He fundamentally believes that I am teaching the wrong way.  He requests that I teach like a Chinese Teacher as that is the only way to earn respect. 
Chinese teachers are, well, less sensitive than an average Western teacher.That is one request I simply can and will not heed.

Later Days,
Rick

2 comments:

Phil Miller said...

Good for you for asking. it can be nerve wracking to ask and actually take in the feedback. I have to work not to "argue with it". As in "you don't understand what I was trying to do in that situation and that feedback isn't fair!" Sure it is. Just take it for what it's worth :-)

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Ah yes, teacher evaluations. I've had some fun ones over the years...