Friday, November 12, 2010

Beijing--The Northern and Cultural Capital

Welcome to Beijing!  We will be your guides through the adventure.  Who are we, you ask.  Well, there's Rick in the middle and a whole bunch of Chinese girls.  Who are they?  No Idea! Should you be alarmed?  Not at all!  This is completely normal for China.  If you look Western, expect to be viewed as another tourist sight.
We'll begin in the Forbidden City.  Since Beijing has been the capital of China, this enclosed area was the home to the emperor, until the People's Republic of China began its formation.  Here's Philipp in the first open square.

Did you know that the entrances to esteemed Chinese buildings are typically guarded by two lions?  That's right, the one on the left will have his paw resting on a ball, symbolizing control of the empire, while the one on the right has a paw shielding a cub, indicating the female and the continuation of the empire.  Once you know this, you may find it enlightening, but it gets to the point that you see it everywhere.
Please, stop by our many beautiful gift shops, like the one here.  Don't be fooled, the first price is always too high.  First the man said 50 Yuan for the mask; I showed my disinterest by turning around and he shouted 10 yuan!  That's the price I took.

North of the Forbidden City is a great area for dining and night life.  The prices are set for tourists, but the scenery makes up for it.

What would you like for breakfast?  Some may have porridge or this black rice soup (still don't know what it is), but I recommend the Baozi--it's a pork ball inside steamed bread.  It's one of the least oily foods I find and it's delicious and inexpensive.
Don't miss the Beijing Duck.  There's tons of restaurants for it and it's tender meat with a crispy, seasoned skin. 

And while you're at it, try one of my favorites--spicy green beans.  There's minimal oil, tons of flavor, and just enough pepper to make your tongue warm not burning.  Anyone know the Chinese name for these so I can find them again?

Where are we off to next?  Well there's a line of cars about 2 km long; it's faster to walk along the road, and it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere.  Guesses?

We'd like to thank our sponsors, Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Even if you're visiting world landmarks in an uninhabited area, we'll be there to meet your dietary needs!
And now back from our sponsors, we're at the Great Wall of China!  Philipp wasn't able to make it due to digestive challenges.  We both ate the same foods, Philipp, I guess, is more sensitive than I am.  Of course, we both had medicine should this happen...but it was all sitting back in Zhengzhou.

The Wall. Archeologists conclude that the wall, in total, covers 8,000 Km, and I was lucky enough to see this stretch of it on a clear, fresh, autumn day.  Looks like Philipp just has to trek back to China and come with me to Beijing again. Bummer.

Let me simply say, architecture wasn't what it is today.  Here is a shot head on of the wall.  It appears to go straight up, because it basically does.  It contours to the hills and, if cliff-like, that's what the wall does.  This is a bit too unpredictable to be an "undiscovered" jogging path. 
Like I said, a beautiful autumn day.  I love the seasons.  Vacation spots?  Keep 'em.  I want four distinct times of year.

And these are my highlights of Beijing.  Thank you for joining me.  I'll leave you here between the Palace of Heavenly Purity and the Imperial Garden.  Thanks for coming along!
Later Days,
Rick

No comments: