Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I was a Hamburger.

Always in the south, let's journey to the equivalent of a foreign country--the north. Philipp and I decided for a spontaneous trip to Hamburg. Heck, we had seen the "Hamburger Fish Market" in Stuttgart; better make it the real deal and see it on Sunday morning in Hamburg where it closes at 9:30 a.m. 9:30 a.m. It closes. On Sunday. Closes at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday. Despite the fact that with those hours they're basically TRYING to keep people away, the marketplace was full and in great spirits. So, in the last photo here--the one with the bun--i had my first Fischbroetchen (Fish Bun.) Typically there's a slab of what looks like raw fish thrown across a bun, which is far too small to hold the meat (similar to how Wurst (i.e. sausages) are sold--1 1/2 foot sausage on 2 inches of bun.)

Otherwise, you'll also see here the elaborate interior of the courthouse, the Bio (organic) market taking place in front of the courthouse, (I had to walk through, being basically opposed to the principle), the harbor--for which Hamburg is internationally known)--which flows through the old warehouse district and the new "Harbor City", attracting significant investment and real estate development right on the water's edge.

And there's me again on the edge of the docking area.

Well, short for a full weekend with great company in a new city, but neither of us were keen on photo taking and I've yet to get to the festival entry. There are 300 pictures from that, but I'll spare the majority.

Till then,
Rick

2 comments:

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

I'm pretty sure you travels abroad can be sorted into:

1. beautiful sights

2. German food

3. work.

:)

Amber said...

Hamburg is one of my favorite cities in Germany! Glad you were able to experience the real deal (fish market). Gotta be honest, I was too tired/sleeping off my night out to get there in time!